Saturday, February 18, 2012

I'm Right Here Waiting

Considering I have nothing to do tonight, I think I'll actually make another blog post.  Gasp, I know - I'm actually posting twice in one day?  Well, I thought this would be a good time to just evaluate everything I've experienced thus far (so it'll probably be a lot of emotional marble-jarble).  As we are leaving for a week-long journey tomorrow, I am sitting at home waiting to skype with the fam.  I've asked myself many times - am I homesick?  As of this point, I would have to say a little perhaps if anything.  This experience of living in a new country has been wonderful thus far, though as my friend Dana would say - "this is the Nazi Germany of study abroad programs."  Despite the work we've had and the assignments that are looming upon us, I really am loving this opportunity to become immersed in Swiss culture.  At the same time, that is not to say I don't miss the people back home and other trivial things like food (Chipotle, goldfish etc.).  I actually skyped with Liz today and also chatted with Ashleigh for a bit, and now that I am sitting here all alone with no one to talk to in my room, I'm thinking back and realizing how much really miss my best friends...and Benji...and my family sort of I guess :p
We've attended a lot of lectures where we've talked about the lives of refugees - be it due to oppression or the new phenomena of climate change forced migration.  Being here in this international city of humanitarian organizations makes me really realize how blessed I have been in life.  Every day I walk out of my host family's flat and on one side see the Jura Mountains, and the Alps on the other.  The sheer size and beauty of the Mountains, be it the smaller Jura or the looming Alps, always makes you feel a bit insignificant.  On my daily five-minute trek to the bus stop in my town, I always go along with a huge (probably ridiculous) smile on my face that just seems to be insuppressible when I take in the magnificent view along with the genuine appreciation of life.  Why all this deep stuff?  I'm not sure...but I just wanted to take a moment to thank all of the wonderful people in life - my friends and family members - who have been there for me all my life and believe in me.  Life is a long journey and you can't live with regrets, so it's time to move on and make the best of it!

...oh and in case you were curious about why this is titled "I'm right here waiting," well it's just my current physical state as my family has yet to appear on skype

As dorky as this is - song of the moment (thank you, Molly):

No comments:

Post a Comment