Sunday, February 12, 2012

Life is....COLD

One word to describe the last few weeks: COLD
Switzerland is experiencing one of the coldest winters - there have been record breaking lows.
The wind that is coming into Geneva is from Russia and is known as the famous "la bise."  La bise moves from north-east and is caused by a high-pressure cell north-west of Switzerland.  It's just our luck that the effects of the wind are the strongest in Geneva since it is located in a narrow passage between the Jura mountains in the West and the Alps in the South (causing a vacuum effect).  Today my host family took me to Nyon (five minutes from my home) to look at the river and the completely frozen boardwalk.  It was freezing out but the ice all over the bridge was beautiful - Pictures to come!
The one good thing about today was the sun peaking out for the first time in a while.  Although the Alps were still obscured by clouds, I was able to take a couple pictures of the Jura Mountains - which I can see from the glass doors in my bedroom.


No comments:

Post a Comment